A generator is a machine that converts mechanical energy into electrical energy. Generators are used in a variety of applications, including onboard ships and as backup power for homes and businesses.
The most common type of generator used in the home is a portable generator. These units are typically fueled by gasoline, and they can be used to power a variety of appliances, including lights, refrigerators, and pumps.
Portable generators are a great way to have backup power in the event of a power outage.
Why do you need a generator and does everyone need one?
While generators can be a lifesaver during a power outage, not everyone needs one. If you live in an area with a reliable power grid and rarely experience power outages, you probably don’t need a generator. However, if you live in an area with frequent power outages, or if you have a medical condition that requires a power source, a generator can be a wise investment
List Of The Best Generators For Home Backup
- Our Top Picks: WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- Best for Camping: Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Portable Inverter Generator
- Best Budget: WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Most Portable: Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Best standby generator for home use: DuroMax XP5500EH Electric Start
- Most Powerful: Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator
- Quietest Operation: Westinghouse WH2200iXLT
- Best inverter generator for home backup: Briggs & Stratton Q6500 Quiet Power Series Inverter Generator
Our Verdict: 8 Best Generators For Home Backup
1. Our top picks: WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb.Dimensions: 23.2" L x 18" W x 20.1" H | Weight: 99.2 lb.Engine Speed : 3600 RPM. Spark Plug Gap : 0.7 - 0.8 mm (0.028 - 0.031 in).
The WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator is the perfect generator for any home or the perfect generator for outdoor location. The generator is not as big as a regular generator, so it can be easily stored, and it is also much quieter than a regular generator.
The generator is also equipped with a fuel shutoff to keep the generator from running out of fuel before the end of an outage. The generator is also designed to produce a pure sine wave, so it is safe to run electronics on the generator.
The generator also has a low-oil and low-fuel automatic shutdown, indication lights, and overload protection to prevent any damage to the generator or any electronics on the generator.
- 3800 starting watts/3200 running watts
- 4-stroke OHV engine
- 1.45-gallon gas tank
- Runs for up to 8 hours at half load
- Inverter technology for safe operation with sensitive electronics
- Parallel-ready design for increased power output
- RV-ready with a 120V AC outlet and 12V DC outlet
- Quiet operation with a noise level of only 57 dB
- EPA III and CARB compliant
- Very quiet operation;
- 3800 watts of power.
- A bit on the expensive side.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator is one of the best-selling portable generators on the market. It is rated 4.6 stars out of 5 by over 750 customers.
Most of the reviewers said that this generator is very quiet and ideal for use in RV, camping, and tailgating. Some reviewers have also mentioned that this generator is very easy to set up and use.
A few reviewers have also said that this generator is very lightweight and portable. Some reviewers have also said that this generator provides clean and stable power.
Overall, the WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator is a great product and is highly recommended by customers.
2. Best for camping: Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator
- WIRELESS REMOTE START: Start and stop with ease from up to 80 feet away with the included wireless remote key fob – push-button power and convenience like never before. Gasoline Tank Material-Steel
The Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator is a generator that is perfect for RV camping, tailgating, powering items around the RV, and providing backup for your essentials.
The generator features an ultra-quiet 61 dBA and a low oil shut-off sensor. It also features EZ Start Dial and Quick Touch Panel for easy operation and maintenance. This generator runs for 14 hours at 25% load when the 2.3-gallon fuel tank is full and features an optional Parallel Kit. It is EPA certified and CARB.
- Weight: 106 lbs
- Dimensions: 26.3 x 17.3 x 18.3 inches
- Running Watts: 4500
- Starting Watts: 5500
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- Run Time: 7.5 hours at 50% load
- Outlets: Two 120V 20A household outlets, One RV outlet
- Engine: 196cc Champion single-cylinder OHV
- EPA and CARB Compliant
- Very portable and easy to carry;
- RV ready- can be used with an RV;
- 4500 watts of power- can run most appliances;
- Quiet operation.
- More expensive than some other portable generators;
- Not as powerful as some other generators on the market.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
Most of the people who have purchased and used the Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator are highly satisfied with its performance and quality. They have given it great reviews and ratings for its quietness, durability, design, and usability. These people are also impressed with its portability and easy setup. They say that it is very easy to carry around and is ideal for RVs and campers.
Some people are not so happy with the Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator. They find it difficult to start and it is not as quiet as they expected it to be.
We have analyzed the reviews and ratings of the Champion Power Equipment 200987 4500-Watt RV Ready Portable Inverter Generator and we have concluded that it is a good product. It is highly recommended by the majority of the customers who have purchased and used it.
3. Best budget: WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- Ultralight body weighs in at a mere 39 pounds for easy transport and storage.Engine Speed : 4800 RPM. Lubrication System : Splash Lubrication.Rated Amperage: AC: 15.8A, DC: 8.3A (Cigarette Plug), 2.1A/1A (USB)
The WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator is quieter than its gas-burning competitors while still maintaining the power necessary for camping, hunting, tailgating, and restoring backup power.
The lightweight 39-pound design makes for easy portability while the ultra-efficient one-gallon tank provides over 7 hours of half-load run time. The fully-packed panel comes equipped with two three-prong 120V 14A NEMA 5-20R receptacles, one 12V 8.3A DC receptacle, and two 5V USB ports.
Low-oil and low-fuel automatic shutdowns combine with the built-in overload protection and indicator lights to safeguard both your generator and your electronics from damage.
- Dimensions: 18.8 x 11 x 17.5 inches
- Weight: 48.5 pounds
- Run Time: 7.5 hours at 25% load
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 1 gallon
- Noise Level: 51 dBA
- Outlets: (2) 120V 20A household outlets, (1) 12V DC
- Extremely quiet operation;
- Lightweight and portable;
- Excellent value for the price.
- Some users report issues with the fuel gauge;
- Others find the generator difficult to start.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
The WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator is a good product, with a lot of good reviews from customers.
We found that it had an average of 4.5 stars out of 5 on Amazon, with over 80% of customers giving it a 5-star rating.
Customers liked that it was very quiet, portable, and had a long run time. They also appreciated the customer service from WEN.
Some customers did not like that it was difficult to start and that it did not have a fuel gauge.
Overall, the WEN 56235i Super Quiet 2350-Watt Portable Inverter Generator is a good product with a lot of satisfied customers.
4. Most portable: Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator
- At only 39 pounds, this inverter is one of the lightest 2000-watt inverters in the industry.Engine Oil Type : 10W-30, Gasoline Tank Material : Steel.
The Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator is an ultralight and quiet portable inverter generator. This inverter is ideal for camping, tailgating, powering items around the RV, or providing backup for a few basics.
Weighing in at 39lbs, this model is one of the lightest 2000-watt inverters in the industry. This inverter operates at 53 dBA from 23 feet, which is about the same noise level as a dishwasher running in the next room.
The 79cc Champion engine produces 2000 starting watts and 1700 running watts. When the 1.05-gallon tank of gasoline is full, this inverter can run up to 11.5 hours at 25% load.
- Peak Output: 2000W
- Rated Output: 1600W
- Engine: 79cc Champion single cylinder, 4-stroke
- Start Type: Recoil
- Run Time: Up to 9 hours at 25% load
- Fuel Tank Size: 1.6 gallons
- Noise Level: 58 dBA
- Outlets: 120V 20A household outlet, 12V DC
- Very portable and easy to move around;
- Quiet operation;
- Generates enough power for many applications.
- May not be powerful enough for some RVs or larger appliances;
- Some users have reported issues with customer service.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
Most customers found that this Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator was perfect for what they needed. Several people said that it was very quiet and ran smoothly. One customer said that it was very easy to set up and get running. Another customer said that it was the perfect size and weight for camping and tailgating.
However, a few customers did have some issues with this Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator. One customer said that it only ran for about 5 hours on a full tank of gas. Another customer said that it was difficult to start.
Overall, most customers who left reviews for the Champion Power Equipment 100692 2000-Watt Portable Inverter Generator were very happy with their purchase. Many people said that it was the perfect size and weight for camping and tailgating. Several people also said that it was very quiet and ran smoothly.
5. Best standby generator for home use: DuroMax XP5500EH Electric Start
- Plenty of Power – With 5,500 starting watts and 4,500 running watts, this unit can handle heavy loads, from lights and a refrigerator to a home air conditioner and high amperage power tools.Runtime (Gasoline) at 50% Load : 9 hrs. Runtime (Propane) at 50% Load : 8 hrs.
DuroMax XP5500EH Electric Start is a heavy-duty generator that provides plenty of power to handle multiple jobs, from powering high voltage appliances to heavy-duty power tools.
The low oil shutoff and the powerful engine ensure that this generator can run, and run, and run, even under heavy loads. The power panel includes a wide selection of outlets for maximum compatibility in your applications and includes a voltmeter and 12V DC charging posts for charging external batteries.
- 5550 watts
- Electric start
- 7.5HP DuroMax OHV engine
- 4-gallon fuel tank
- 16-hour run time at half load
- Handles loads up to 5500 watts
- Weighs 127 lbs.
- Easy to operate;
- Requires regular maintenance.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
The DuroMax XP5500EH has been rated 4.7 stars out of 5 by its customers on Amazon. The buyers have appreciated the features of the product and have given it high marks.
The product has been appreciated for its durability, portability, and its performance. The customers have also praised the easy installation of the product. The customers have also appreciated the easy operation of the product.
However, there have been some complaints about the noise level of the DuroMax XP5500EH. The customers have also complained about the lack of customer service from the company. There have been a few complaints about the customer service of the company.
6. Most powerful: Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator
- Powerful and Efficient: Benefit from Power Rush Advanced Technology, delivering over 30% more starting capacity. Get more done with fewer limitations, whether at home or on the go
Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator is a generator that is perfect for emergency power or recreational use. It has a variety of benefits that make it one of the most popular generators. It has a Power Rush Advanced technology that delivers more starting power, making it easier to start. It has a battery that is included so it’s always ready to go in case of an outage.
It has a long-lasting OHV engine and a large capacity steel fuel tank. These are two things that make it more durable. It also has a fold-down handle, making it easy to transport. It has covered outlets for added protection and heavy-duty wheels that never go flat.
It has a low-oil shutdown feature, preventing damage, and a hardened steel-tube cradle that is stronger and more resilient. It also has a regular maintenance alert system that will notify you when it’s time to do maintenance.
- 8,000 starting watts
- 10,000 running watts
- Electric start
- Runs for up to 12 hours at 50% load
- 6.8-gallon fuel tank
- Quiet operation
- CARB compliant
- This generator is very powerful and can easily provide power for large appliances and devices.;
- It is very easy to set up and use.;
- This generator is very affordable.
- This generator is quite loud.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
The Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator earned 4.3 stars out of 5 on Amazon. 41% of customers gave it 5 stars, while only 8% gave it 1 star.
Customers appreciated the portability and power of the Generac 7676 GP8000E Portable Generator. They also liked that it was easy to set up and use.
However, some customers were disappointed with the run time of the generator, reporting that it only ran for a few hours before needing to be refueled. Others found that the generator was noisy and emitted a lot of fumes.
7. Quietest operation: Westinghouse WH2200iXLT Super Quiet and Lightweight Portable Inverter Generator
The Westinghouse WH2200iXLT is a dependable source of backup power for your home during power outages. It produces 2,200 peak watts and 1,800 running watts with an 80cc Westinghouse 4-Stroke OHV Engine. At only 46.3 lb. and with a built-in carrying handle, the generator is convenient, portable, and perfect for camping, tailgating, or recreational events.
It operates at a low 52 dBA, quieter than the volume of an average conversation, so it’s safe for your sensitive electronics like plasma/LCD televisions, entertainment systems, computers, tablets, or mobile devices. With a parallel cord, it allows the generator to power devices such as refrigerators, furnaces, and sump pumps with a Westinghouse iGEN Series Inverter Generator.
- Dimensions: 24.4″ x 21.3″ x 18.9″
- Weight: 47 lbs
- Continuous Output: 2200 watts
- Surge Output: 4400 watts
- Run Time at 1/2 Load: 11 hours
- Fuel Tank Capacity: 3.4 gallons
- Noise Level: 52 dBA
- Very quiet and lightweight;
- Runs consistently and smoothly;
- Good customer service.
- Instructions could be clear;
- I May have trouble starting in cold weather.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
The customer reviews for the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT are mostly positive. There are some complaints about the customer service and the noise level, but these seem to be in the minority. Overall, people are happy with the performance of this generator and find it to be a good value for the price.
We gave the Westinghouse WH2200iXLT a 4.5 out of 5-star rating because it is a great generator for the price. It is quiet and lightweight, making it perfect for camping or tailgating. It also has a lot of features that make it a great choice for an emergency backup generator.
8. Best inverter generator for home backup: Briggs & Stratton Q6500 Quiet Power Series Inverter Generator
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 Quiet Power Series Inverter Generator is a generator that is 60% quieter than standard generators and is built for a variety of different uses. The Q6500 is a generator that is great for a variety of uses and is perfect for those who want an inverter generator that is quieter than traditional generators.
This generator will allow you to power a variety of appliances, which includes sensitive electronics, for up to 14 hours on a full tank of gas. This generator is perfect for those who have sensitivity to noise, as it is highly efficient in making noise. It also has a compact, lightweight design, and a suitcase-style telescoping handle.
- Output: 6500 watts
- Run time: 9 hours at half load
- Weight: 127 pounds
- Fuel type: Gasoline
- Starting method: Recoil
- Quiet and efficient;
- Durable and long-lasting;
- May not be powerful enough for some applications.
Customer Reviews and Scores:
The Briggs & Stratton Q6500 Quiet Power Series Inverter Generator had great reviews on Amazon. Out of the 98 reviews that were left, 82% of customers gave it a 5-star rating. Customers loved how quiet it was and how easy it was to set up and use. They also loved how lightweight and portable it was.
What to Consider When Choosing the Best Generator home backup?
When the power goes out, a generator can keep your home running smoothly. But how do you know which one is right for you? Here are a few things to consider when choosing the best generator for your home backup needs.
There are three main types of generators: standby, portable, and inverter.
Standby generators are permanently installed outside your home. They are connected to your home’s electrical system and start automatically when the power goes out. Standby generators can run for days on end and are the best option for extended power outages.
Portable generators are small and can be easily moved around. They are typically powered by gasoline and need to be manually started. Portable generators are a good option for short power outages and can be used to power select appliances or electronics.
Inverter generators are a newer type of generator that is smaller, lighter, and more fuel-efficient than traditional generators. Inverter generators produce “clean” power that is ideal for sensitive electronics. They are a good option for short power outages and can be used to power select appliances or electronics.
There are a variety of generators on the market, and the power output of each one will be different.
The power output of a generator is measured in watts. The higher the wattage, the more power the generator can output. For example, a generator with a power output of 1000 watts can provide enough power to run a small appliance, such as a coffee maker.
A 5,000-watt generator can provide enough power to run a large household appliance such as a refrigerator. It can also provide lighting and several other low-power household appliances.
There are three main fuel types for generators: gasoline, diesel, and natural gas. Gasoline generators are the most common type, and they’re typically the most affordable option. However, they require regular maintenance and can be difficult to start in cold weather.
Diesel generators are more expensive than gasoline models, but they’re more reliable and require less maintenance. They’re also better suited for use in cold weather.
Natural gas generators are the most expensive option, but they’re the most convenient to use since you can connect them directly to your home’s natural gas line.
Recoil vs. Electric Start
Some generators have a recoil start, which means you have to pull a cord to get the engine going. Other generators have an electric start, which means you can simply push a button to start the engine.
There are pros and cons to both. Recoil starts are usually more reliable because there are fewer moving parts. Electric starts are more convenient, but they require a battery to work.
If noise is a concern for you, you may want to look for a generator that is specifically designed to be quiet.
Some factors that can affect the noise level of a generator include the type of engine, the size of the unit, and the load that it is running at.
Size and Weight
The size and weight of the generator you need will depend on how long you want to run it. If you only need it for a few hours, a smaller and lighter generator will suffice. But if you need it for days or weeks, you will need a bigger and heavier generator.
How We Chose the Best backup Generator for a House?
There are a few things to consider when choosing a backup generator for your home. First, you need to decide how much power you need. A generator that’s too small won’t be able to keep your entire home running, and a generator that’s too large will be more expensive than you need.
The next thing to consider is how you’ll use the generator. If you only need it for occasional power outages, a portable generator might be enough. But if you want to be able to use your generator as a primary power source, you’ll need a more powerful, permanently installed option.
Finally, you need to think about your budget. Backup generators can be expensive, so you’ll need to decide how much you’re willing to spend.
Once you’ve considered all of these factors, you can start looking at specific generators.
Can an inverter generator run a refrigerator?
It is possible for an inverter generator to run a refrigerator, although it is not recommended. Refrigerators are typically high-wattage appliances, and inverter generators are not typically designed to handle appliances of that size. Additionally, running a refrigerator on an inverter generator can put a strain on the generator, which could lead to damage.
Can an inverter generator power a house?
It is possible to use an inverter generator to power a house, but it is not recommended. Inverter generators are not as powerful as traditional generators and may not be able to handle the electrical load of a house.
What type of generator is best for home backup?
The best type of generator for whole house backup is a standby generator. Standby generators are permanently installed and connected to your home’s electrical system. They start automatically during a power outage and provide backup power for as long as needed.
What is the best brand generator?
Some people believe that backup house generators from well-known brands such as Generac and Kohler are the most reliable, while others believe that cheaper options from brands such as Champion and Westinghouse are just as good. Ultimately, it is up to the individual to decide which generator they believe is the most reliable.
If you’re looking for a top-quality, reliable, and portable inverter generator backup for home, then the WEN 56380i Super Quiet 3800-Watt RV-Ready Portable Inverter Generator is the perfect choice for you. It’s ideal for camping, tailgating, RVing, and more, and it’s also one of the quietest generators on the market, making it perfect for use in any situation.
There are a few things you need to keep in mind when choosing a backup generator for your house. First, you need to determine how much power you need. Second, you need to make sure the generator can handle the load. Third, you need to make sure the generator is safe to use.
- Unraveling the Dewalt DCD708C2 and DCD701F2 Drills: A Comprehensive Comparison
- Comparing DEWALT’s Powerhouse Drills: DCD991P2 and DCD701F2
- Comparing DEWALT Drills: Unpacking the DCD991P2 and DCD708C2
- Demystifying Dewalt Drills: A Comparison of DCD996P2 and DCD701F2
- Unveiling the Best DEWALT Drill: DCD996P2 vs DCD708C2