Overview of DCD771C2
The DCD771C2, a product by Dewalt, is a 20V max Lithium Ion Compact Cordless Power Drill/Driver Kit. It has been designed with a particular focus on compactness and lightweight, making it highly suitable for working in tight spaces for extended durations.
- It boasts a compact, lightweight design that can easily fit into tight areas.
- The high-performance motor of the DCD771C2 delivers 300 unit watts out (UWO) of power, allowing it to complete a wide range of applications.
- Its high-speed transmission delivers two speeds (0-450 & 1,500 rpm), making it versatile for a variety of fastening and drilling applications.
- The 1/2″ single sleeve ratcheting chuck ensures tight bit gripping strength.
- It comes equipped with an ergonomic handle for comfort and control.
- The unit features the NEW 18V XR Li-Ion compact drill driver that uses XR 1.3Ah Li-Ion battery technology.
Included in the kit:
- 1 DCD771 1/2″ Drill Driver
- 2 20V Max* Compact Lithium Ion Battery Packs
- 1 Compact Charger
- 1 Contractor Bag
|Motor Power||300 UWO|
|Transmission Speeds||0-450 & 1,500 rpm|
|Chuck||1/2″ single sleeve ratcheting|
|Battery Technology||18V XR Li-Ion|
The DCD771C2 is capable of handling a wide array of tasks with its high-performance motor and 2-speed transmission. The kit includes two 20V MAX* batteries, a charger, and a durable storage bag for portability, facilitating work in multiple locations.
Overview of DCD996P2
The DCD996P2, another powerful product by Dewalt, is a 20V MAX* XR® Brushless Cordless 3-Speed Hammer Drill/Driver. It is engineered to complete tough drilling applications and is equipped with a high-efficiency brushless motor and a heavy-duty ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength.
- The Dewalt-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18v NiCad brushed motors.
- The XR® Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard packs.
- It has a heavy-duty 1/2 in. ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts for superior bit gripping strength.
- The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20X brighter than the previous model, with a spotlight mode featuring a 20 minute shutoff function for extended work time.
- It features a 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission that optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time.
- The versatile speeds are 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM in drill mode and 0-500 / 0-1500 / 0-2250 RPM in hammerdrill mode with 0-38,250 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials.
Included in the kit:
- 1 DCD996 – 20V MAX* XR® Lithium Ion Brushless Premium 3-Speed Hammerdrill
- 2 DCB205 – 20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0 Ah)
- 1 Charger
- 1 Belt Hook
- 1 360° Side Handle
- 1 Kit Box
|Motor Type||High Power, High Efficiency Brushless|
|Battery||XR® Li-Ion with Fuel Gauge|
|Chuck||Heavy-duty 1/2 in. Ratcheting Nitro-Carburized Metal with Carbide Inserts|
|LED Mode||3-Mode, 20X Brighter|
|Transmission||3-speed, All-metal High Performance|
|Speeds||0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM (Drill), 0-500 / 0-1500 / 0-2250 RPM (Hammerdrill), 0-38,250 BPM (Masonry)|
The DCD996P2 is a high-performing hammer drill/driver that offers a versatile range of applications. This kit comes with two 20V MAX* XR® 5.0Ah batteries, a charger, and a durable kit box for easy transport on the jobsite. The DCD996P2 is designed to deliver up to 57% more runtime over brushed motors, emphasizing its efficiency and power.
Comparison of Specifications: DCD771C2 vs DCD996P2
|Chuck Size||0.5 in||N/A|
|No Load Speed (RPM)||0-450-1500||0-450/1300/2000|
|Weight (Including Battery)||4 lbs||N/A|
|Battery Chemistry||XR Li-ion||XR Li-ion|
|Battery Capacity||1.3 Ah||5 Ah|
|Tool Weight||3.6 lbs||N/A|
|Power Output||300 W||820 W|
|Uncertainty K1 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||1.5 m/s2|
|Voltage||20 V||18 V|
|Number of Pieces||1||N/A|
|Uncertainty K2 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||3.9 m/s2|
|Is it a Set||N/A||Yes|
User reviews of DCD771C2
Summary of Positive User Reviews for DCD771C2
- Many users praised the ergonomic and lightweight design of the DCD771C2, highlighting its balanced feel and ease of use.
- Users appreciated the quality of the product, noting that both the drill and included bits were high quality.
- The drill’s performance was commended, with users managing to complete various projects with ease.
- Customers were pleased with the value for money, citing the inclusion of two batteries and a carrying case as a significant advantage.
- The instruction book that comes with the drill was easy to understand even for beginners.
- Many users found the built-in light feature to be very useful, especially when working in dim settings.
- The drill’s power and variable speed trigger were praised, with users stating that it’s easy to control.
- Several users noted that the batteries held their charge well and were easy to charge, once properly inserted into the charger.
- Users also mentioned that this model is a great upgrade from the older DeWalt models, and it adds value to their tool collection.
- Customers were also happy with the quick delivery and customer service.
- Lastly, users appreciated the durability and longevity of the drill, mentioning its sheer power and quality consistent with the DeWalt brand.
Summary of Critical User Reviews for DCD771C2
- Several users reported a sudden stop in the working of the drill, even with proper care, and found the warranty service unsatisfactory.
- Some users found that the drill was not valuable compared to the price, and considered the purchase worth only for the batteries included.
- A few customers complained about the drill’s battery life, stating it was worse than cheaper variants.
- There were complaints about the drill acting like it had a bearing issue.
- Several users criticized the absence of drill bits and the drill’s inability to work on larger jobs or harder woods.
- Many customers found the included batteries inadequate, mentioning they run out quickly with semi-constant use.
- Users were disappointed with the soft carry bag that comes with the drill, preferring a hard shell case for better storage.
- Some users reported missing parts, like the 1/2″ chuck, in their package.
- Customer service and warranty honoring by DeWalt came under criticism from a number of users, especially in cases of faulty batteries or chargers.
- There were comments about the weight of the drill, with some finding it heavier than expected.
User reviews of DCD996P2
Positive Reviews Summary for DCD996P2
- Users praised the drill’s power and capability of easily drilling through tough materials such as concrete and ice, with some even using it for ice fishing.
- The battery life was another commendable feature, with many users mentioning its longevity and quick charging time.
- Despite some minor issues with the charger, users appreciated the company’s responsive customer service in resolving the problems.
- The drill’s torque and its efficient performance in tasks as intensive as driving over a hundred 2 1/2″ Simpson clip screws were lauded, with users noting how the drill made these tasks quick and easy.
- The drill’s weight was considered beneficial as it counterbalanced the torque, making the drill easier to handle.
- The bonus of the drill being part of a larger 20-volt system, allowing for battery interchangeability with other tools, was positively received.
- Overall, users found the DCD996P2 to be a reliable and robust tool that exceeded their expectations, with many expressing their love for this cordless driver.
Critical Reviews Summary for DCD996P2
- Some users found that the drill switched to the hammer function even when it was set to drill mode. This was particularly problematic when drilling through metal, resulting in unwanted chattering and rough finishes.
- Several users were disappointed with the product’s durability, reporting issues such as the drill stopping working after a short period of use, and the product not living up to their expectations based on previous experiences with DeWalt products.
- The product’s warranty service was criticized by users who encountered problems after the warranty period had ended, leading to some shifting to other brands.
- Users also highlighted problems with the drill’s battery fitting loosely in both the drill and the charger, causing rattling and charging issues.
- Some users reported defects with their product, including a jammed chuck after minimal use, a petrified speed switch, and oil leakage from inside the device.
- There were complaints of the drill’s power being insufficient for specific tasks, such as using a 3” hole saw or drilling through concrete and tiles.
- Finally, users from international locations found the return process to be complicated and expensive because of shipping costs.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD771C2
|Ergonomic and lightweight design||Sudden stop in the working of the drill|
|High-quality product including drill and bits||Perceived lower value for money|
|Effective performance||Faults with battery life|
|Great value for money with inclusion of two batteries and carrying case||Issues resembling a bearing problem|
|Easy-to-understand instruction book||Absence of drill bits and inability to work on larger jobs or harder woods|
|Built-in light feature for working in dim settings||Inadequate battery life with semi-constant use|
|Powerful with variable speed trigger for easy control||Disappointment with the soft carry bag|
|Batteries hold charge well and are easy to charge||Missing parts in the package|
|Great upgrade from older DeWalt models||Unsatisfactory customer service and warranty honoring|
|Quick delivery and good customer service||Heavier weight than expected|
|Durable with long lifespan|
Pros/Cons of DCD996P2
|Powerful and capable of drilling through tough materials||Unexpected switching to hammer function, causing unwanted chattering and rough finishes|
|Long battery life and quick charging time||Issues with product durability and lifespan|
|Responsive customer service||Unsatisfactory warranty service|
|High torque and efficient performance||Loosely fitting battery in drill and charger causing rattling and charging issues|
|Beneficial weight counterbalancing the torque||Product defects, e.g. jammed chuck, petrified speed switch, and oil leakage|
|Part of a larger 20-volt system allowing battery interchangeability||Inadequate power for certain tasks|
|Reliable and robust tool exceeding expectations||Complicated and expensive return process for international customers|
When choosing between the DCD771C2 and the DCD996P2, consider your specific needs. The DCD771C2 is a lightweight and compact drill/driver, ideal for working in tight spaces and for a wide range of applications. On the other hand, the DCD996P2, with its high-efficiency brushless motor and 3-speed transmission, is designed for tougher drilling applications and can deliver more runtime. Both models come with their own unique features, making them versatile for different tasks. Therefore, your final choice should depend on the specific requirements of your job.