Overview of DCD791D2
The DCD791D2 is a powerful drill from DEWALT that features an efficient brushless motor. The motor is capable of delivering up to 57% more run time as compared to its brushed counterparts. It operates on XR® Li-Ion batteries, which have a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity than standard packs, therefore enhancing the tool’s overall performance.
The design of the DCD791D2 is compact, measuring just 6.9″ from front to back, and lightweight, weighing only 3.4 lbs. This makes it suitable for working in tight areas. It has a high-speed transmission with two speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM), which allows it to deliver up to 30% faster application speeds.
The tool comes with an ergonomic comfort grip handle for ideal balance and tool control. This coupled with a metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck ensures superior bit gripping strength. It also features a 3-Mode LED that provides bright lighting in dark or confined spaces, up to 20 times brighter than previous models. The LED Spotlight Mode also has a 20-minute shutoff function for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
- One DCD791 – 20V MAX* XR® Li-Ion BL Compact Drill / Driver
- Two DCB203 – XR® 2.0AH Battery Packs
- One Charger
- One Kit Box
- One Belt Hook
The DCD791D2 20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Compact Cordless Drill with Battery and Charger Kit is designed to offer power and versatility across a wide range of applications. Despite its lightweight design, this drill doesn’t compromise on power. It’s perfect for working in tight spaces for extended periods thanks to its high-speed transmission, which offers 2-speed variations. This allows users to select the performance level needed for their specific project. The kit also comes with a charger, two 2Ah batteries, and a durable kit box for easy transportation.
|Motor||DEWALT brushless motor|
|Run Time||Up to 57% more run time|
|Battery||XR® Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge|
|Design||Compact (6.9″ front to back), lightweight (3.4 lbs)|
|Speed Settings||Two speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM)|
|Handle||Ergonomic comfort grip handle|
|Chuck||Metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck|
|LED||3-Mode LED with 20-minute shutoff function|
Overview of DCD991P2
The DCD991P2 is a robust drill from DEWALT that features a high power, high efficiency brushless motor. Just like the DCD791D2, this motor also delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed motors. This drill is powered by 20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0Ah), ensuring long-lasting performance.
What sets the DCD991P2 apart is its 3-speed, all-metal high-performance transmission that optimizes the tool-to-task relationship for fast application speeds and improved run-time. This feature, coupled with the heavy-duty 1/2″ ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts, provides superior bit gripping strength, enhancing the overall performance of the drill.
For working in dark or confined spaces, the DCD991P2 comes equipped with a 3-Mode LED that is up to 20 times brighter than the previous model. It also includes an LED Spotlight Mode with a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in darker conditions.
- One DCD991 – 20V MAX* XR® Lithium Ion Brushless Premium 3-Speed Drill/Driver
- Two DCB205 – 20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0Ah)
- One Charger
- One Belt Hook
- One 360° Side Handle
- One Kitbox
The DCD991P2 20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Premium 3-Speed Drill/Driver is a versatile tool designed to handle a variety of applications. It features a 3-speed transmission to optimize performance, and a 1/2-inch ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck for superior bit gripping strength. The LED spotlight mode with a 20-minute auto-shutoff function boosts productivity in dark or confined spaces. The kit comes with two 5.0Ah batteries, a charger, and a durable storage bag for portability on the jobsite.
|Motor||DEWALT high power, high efficiency brushless motor|
|Run Time||Up to 57% more run time|
|Battery||20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0Ah)|
|Transmission||3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission|
|Chuck||Heavy-duty 1/2″ ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts|
|LED||3-Mode LED with 20-minute shutoff function|
Summary of Specifications: DCD791D2 vs DCD991P2
|Chuck Size||0.5 in||N/A|
|No Load Speed (RPM)||0-600 / 0-2000||0-450/1300/2000|
|Battery Chemistry||XR Li-ion||XR Li-ion|
|Battery Capacity||2 Ah||5 Ah|
|Power Output||460 W||820 W|
|Uncertainty K1 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||N/A|
|Voltage||20 V||18 V|
|Uncertainty K2 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||N/A|
|Power||460 W||820 W|
User reviews of DCD791D2
Summary of Positive Reviews for DCD791D2
- Users appreciate the professional-grade quality and durability of the DCD791D2, considering it a solid investment.
- The drill’s power and ease of use have been highlighted, even for those who may not be physically strong.
- For DIY enthusiasts, this drill stands out for its compact size, allowing it to fit into tight spaces where other drills fail.
- Many users are impressed by the tool’s sturdy build and its superior performance compared to previous models or other brands.
- The brushless motor is noted for its exceptional power and torque, capable of drilling through various materials with ease.
- The battery life, though not fully tested by all users, is assumed to be efficient due to the brushless motor technology.
- The drill’s light feature is also appreciated for its brightness and usefulness.
- Customers value the excellent customer service from DeWalt when they had concerns or issues.
- The drill’s metal chuck, which holds the drill bits securely, is praised for its precision and smooth operation.
- Despite some complaints about the battery fitting loosely in the base of the drill, overall performance of the drill remained unaffected.
- Users are impressed by the tool’s lightweight, compact nature and efficiency compared to older models or different brands.
- The drill’s “Made in USA” label was well received as a mark of quality and assurance.
- Many users express their satisfaction in terms of the tool’s excellent build quality, appearance, and performance, considering it a worthwhile investment.
Summary of Critical Reviews for DCD791D2
- Several users have had issues with the speed control, finding it difficult to maintain a moderate speed without it escalating to a high RPM. This issue impacts the drill’s performance, especially when driving screws.
- Some users reported a failure of the drill’s speed selector, which is made from plastic and prone to breaking. This issue led to a loss of faith in the product’s longevity and reliability.
- The chuck’s grip on drill bits was a common complaint, with users finding it tricky to secure the bits properly. In some cases, the chuck component rusted after a short period, leading to concerns about the material’s quality.
- There were reports of the drill’s clutch being too stiff, even at the lowest setting, which limited its utility for delicate tasks.
- Some users were disappointed that the drill did not include a bit holder, feeling that this was an oversight considering the drill’s price.
- There were instances of the drill failing or breaking after a relatively short period of light use, causing users to question the product’s durability and Dewalt’s quality control.
- Customer service and warranty experiences varied, with some users feeling let down by the response from Dewalt when they encountered issues.
- A few users mentioned receiving what appeared to be used or incomplete products, damaging their trust in the seller and the brand.
- In some cases, users noticed the drill’s torque was excellent, but the key-less chuck failed prematurely, reducing the overall effectiveness of the tool.
User reviews of DCD991P2
Summary of Positive User Reviews for DCD991P2
- Many users appreciate the drill’s high power and torque, with specific praise for the three-speed transmission that allows for versatility in applications.
- Users find the automatic 3-function LED illumination handy and intuitive, with different modes suiting various needs.
- The drill’s battery life received high remarks, with multiple users mentioning that it lasts a long time, even during heavy-duty tasks such as mixing mortar and augering ice for ice fishing.
- Several reviews mentioned the balanced and comfortable design of the drill, including its weight distribution and grip.
- Customers appreciate the inclusion of two batteries in the kit, allowing for continuous work.
- Users have found the drill’s keyless chuck to be generally reliable and easy to use.
- The drill’s performance in specific tasks, such as ice fishing and automotive work, was highly praised.
- Many users noted that the drill is well-built and rugged, indicating that it’s built to last.
- The drill’s case is seen as a useful feature, despite some minor complaints about lack of extra space for accessories.
Summary of Critical User Reviews for DCD991P2
- Several users have reported issues with the drill’s chuck, including difficulty in opening and closing it, and the drill bit falling out during use.
- Complaints have been made about the drill’s speed selector, with users reporting difficulties in switching to desired speeds.
- Some users have expressed dissatisfaction with the electronic torque control, preferring the older mechanical system for its reliability.
- A few users have reported their drills failing unexpectedly after a few years of use, and dissatisfaction with DeWalt’s warranty service.
- The drill’s clutch (torque adjustment) has been criticised for being unreliable when used as a screwdriver.
- There have been complaints about the quality of the drill, with users noting that the design seems to be getting cheaper, with flimsy buttons and more plastic.
- Some users reported problems with the batteries, including them becoming unusable after a few months of light use.
- One user was dissatisfied because the drill did not come with a screwdriver bit.
- There were complaints about receiving damaged cases with the product.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD791D2
|Professional-grade quality and durability.||Issues with speed control, difficult to maintain a moderate speed.|
|Power and ease of use, suitable for users without much physical strength.||Plastic speed selector prone to breaking, leading to doubts about product’s longevity.|
|Compact size, fits into tight spaces where other drills fail.||Issues with chuck’s grip on drill bits and potential rusting problem.|
|Superior performance compared to previous models or other brands.||Drill’s clutch is too stiff, even at the lowest setting.|
|Brushless motor provides exceptional power and torque.||Does not include a bit holder, seen as an oversight given the drill’s price.|
|Potentially efficient battery life due to brushless motor technology.||Reports of the drill failing or breaking after a short period of light use.|
|Useful light feature.||Varying experiences with customer service and warranty.|
|Excellent customer service from DeWalt when needed.||Instances of receiving used or incomplete products.|
|Precision and smooth operation of the metal chuck.||Failure of the key-less chuck, reducing the overall effectiveness of the tool.|
|Lightweight, compact nature and efficiency compared to older models or different brands.|
|“Made in USA” label seen as a mark of quality and assurance.|
|Excellent build quality, appearance, and performance, considered a worthwhile investment.|
Pros/Cons of DCD991P2
|High power and torque with a three-speed transmission for versatile applications.||Issues with the drill’s chuck, including difficulty opening and closing it, and the drill bit falling out during use.|
|Automatic 3-function LED illumination is handy and intuitive.||Difficulties reported with the drill’s speed selector.|
|Long-lasting battery life, even during heavy-duty tasks.||Dissatisfaction with the electronic torque control, with a preference for the older mechanical system.|
|Balanced and comfortable design, including weight distribution and grip.||Unexpected failures of the drill after a few years of use, and dissatisfaction with DeWalt’s warranty service.|
|Inclusion of two batteries in the kit for continuous work.||Unreliability of the drill’s clutch (torque adjustment) when used as a screwdriver.|
|Reliable and easy-to-use keyless chuck.||Complaints about the quality of the drill, perceived flimsy buttons and more plastic.|
|Highly praised performance in specific tasks, such as ice fishing and automotive work.||Problems with the batteries, including them becoming unusable after a few months of light use.|
|Well-built and rugged design, indicating it’s built to last.||Drill did not come with a screwdriver bit, causing dissatisfaction for some users.|
|Useful drill case, despite minor complaints about lack of extra space for accessories.||Complaints about receiving damaged cases with the product.|
In conclusion, both the DCD791D2 and DCD991P2 drills from DEWALT have their unique features. The DCD791D2 is more compact, lightweight and features a two-speed transmission, making it ideal for working in tight spaces and for a variety of applications. On the other hand, the DCD991P2 offers a three-speed transmission and higher power output, which can be an advantage for heavy-duty tasks. In deciding between the two, it would be beneficial to consider the specific requirements of your projects. If you often work in tighter spaces, the DCD791D2 might be the better option. However, if you require more power and speed versatility, the DCD991P2 could be the right choice.