Overview of DCD996P2
The DCD996P2 hammer drill from Dewalt is a high-quality, durable tool, designed for a range of drilling tasks. It comes with a multitude of features that enhance its performance, efficiency, and user convenience. These include:
- High-efficiency Brushless Motor: This Dewalt-built motor offers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18v NiCad brushed motors, improving the tool’s overall productivity.
- XR® Li-Ion Batteries: The tool includes two 20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0 Ah) which provide 33% more capacity over standard packs, with a fuel gauge for easy monitoring.
- Heavy-duty Chuck: The 1/2 in. ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts enhances the tool’s bit gripping strength.
- 3-Mode LED: This feature provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20 times brighter than previous models, with a spotlight mode that includes a 20-minute shutoff function for extended work time.
- High-performance Transmission: The 3-speed, all-metal transmission optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time.
|Drill Mode||Hammerdrill Mode||Masonry Materials|
|0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM||0-500 / 0-1500 / 0-2250 RPM||0-38,250 BPM|
The kit includes the DCD996 – 20V MAX* XR® Lithium Ion Brushless Premium 3-Speed Hammerdrill, two DCB205 – 20V MAX* XR® High Capacity Li-Ion Batteries (5.0 Ah), a charger, a belt hook, a 360° side handle, and a kit box for easy transport and storage.
This 20V MAX* cordless kit is designed to complete tough drilling applications. Equipped with a heavy-duty ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts, this hammer drill offers superior bit gripping strength. The high-efficiency brushless motor delivers up to 57% more runtime over brushed models, making the DCD996P2 an excellent choice for both professional and DIY use.
Overview of DCD701F2
The DCD701F2 Drill Driver from Dewalt is a compact and high-performance tool, designed for precision applications. It comes with a host of features that enhance its power, efficiency, and user convenience. These include:
- Power and Size: The DCD701 12V MAX* Brushless 3/8 in. Drill Driver delivers 32% more power and is 20% shorter in comparison to similar models.
- Brushless Motor: This efficient motor enhances the performance and runtime of the tool.
- Ratcheting Chuck: The 3/8 in. chuck allows for a wide variety of bits to be used, improving its versatility.
- Transmission and Clutch Settings: The tool comes with a 2-Speed transmission and 15 clutch settings, accommodating a variety of applications.
- LED Foot Light: This feature provides superior visibility in low-light conditions.
- Lightweight: The tool weighs just 1.9 lbs. (without battery), making it easy to handle and maneuver.
- Batteries: The kit includes two 12V MAX* 2.0 Ah batteries with state of charge indicator.
The kit includes the DCD701B – 12V MAX* Brushless 3/8 in Drill Driver, two DCB122 – 12V MAX* Batteries With State of Charge Indicator, a 12V MAX* – 20V MAX† Charger, a belt clip, and a tool bag for easy transport and storage.
This 12V MAX* cordless kit is designed for precision applications such as drilling small pilot holes. The DCD701F2 Drill Driver is compact but packed with performance features, including a 2-speed transmission and an onboard LED to illuminate dark spaces. At only 5.97 in. long (front to back), it’s ideal for tight spaces while still delivering the power needed for a range of tasks.
Summary of Specifications
|No Load Speed (RPM)||0-450/1300/2000||0-425/0-1500|
|Battery Chemistry||XR Li-ion||N/A|
|Battery Capacity||5 Ah||N/A|
|Uncertainty K3 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||N/A|
|Uncertainty K1 (Vibration)||1.5 m/s2||N/A|
|Power Output||820 W||250 W|
|Voltage||18 V||12 V|
|Battery Type||LI-ION||12V MAX*|
|Is it a Set||Yes||N/A|
|Uncertainty K2 (Vibration)||3.9 m/s2||N/A|
|Battery Voltage||N/A||12 V|
|Chuck Size||N/A||0.37 in|
|Tool Length||N/A||5.97 in|
|Product Length||N/A||5.97 in|
|Tool Weight||N/A||1.9 lbs|
|Product Height||N/A||4.25 in|
|Power Input||N/A||900 W|
|Product Weight||N/A||2 lbs|
User reviews of DCD996P2
Summary of Positive User Reviews for DCD996P2
- Many users commend the drill’s power, with one review noting that it drills through solid concrete blocks with ease.
- Another positive aspect that stands out is the battery life. Users report long-lasting performance, with one user drilling holes in 12” ice all day long without needing a battery change.
- Several reviewers appreciate its versatility, using it for various tasks like ice fishing, construction, and home DIY projects.
- Users also appreciate the product’s quality and value for its price.
- One user faced an issue with the charger, but upgraded their review due to the excellent customer service received from DeWALT.
- The drill’s torque and speed controls are also praised for their precision and usefulness.
- Finally, users are pleased with the drill’s ability to handle heavy-duty tasks while causing minimal strain to the wrist.
Summary of Critical User Reviews for DCD996P2
- Several users reported issues with the drill’s function, including the drill using the hammer function even in drill mode and the chuck getting jammed after minimal use.
- There were complaints about the battery mount design, with some users stating it was poorly designed and rattled while charging or during use.
- Some users experienced issues with the durability and lifespan of the drill. A few users reported their drills stopped working within a year or just after the warranty period.
- Some reviewers were disappointed with the drill’s performance in heavy-duty tasks like drilling through metal, concrete, or using a hole saw.
- Several customers were critical of DeWALT’s customer service and warranty policies, stating they had difficulties getting assistance or replacements for faulty drills.
- There were also issues reported with the speed switch being difficult to move and oil leakage from inside the device.
User reviews of DCD701F2
Summary of Positive User Reviews of DCD701F2
- The product is appreciated for being compact and easy to handle, making it perfect for home use as well as professional work like guitar repairs.
- Users commend its power, even at 12 volts, suggesting it provides more than necessary for large projects.
- Many found the drill to be a great balance between size and power, neither too big nor too powerful.
- The drill’s battery life is noted to be long-lasting, with the added convenience of having two batteries that can be alternated for continuous work.
- Users also mention the drill’s ability to perform multiple functions, such as drilling holes and driving screws, adding to its versatility.
- It was recommended by Wirecutter for its power and comfort of use, which users have agreed with.
- Some users, while wishing it used a 20v battery, still appreciated that it uses the same charger as their other DeWalt tools.
- The overall design, particularly the fit in hand, is praised for its superior design, indicative of DeWalt’s reputation for fine tools.
Summary of Critical User Reviews of DCD701F2
- Several users reported issues with DeWalt’s customer service, stating that it was difficult to get support and the process to repair or replace defective items was lengthy.
- Problems with the drill’s motor were mentioned, with complaints about it failing after a year of light use, producing a grinding sound, and shutting down after a few seconds of operation.
- Some users experienced issues with the drill’s power, noting an intermittent drop in performance.
- There were complaints about the charger that comes with the drill, with some users stating it was defective and only gave a slight charge.
- Battery problems were a common concern, including batteries not holding a charge, not charging at all, or being defective upon arrival.
- Users also mentioned issues with the drill’s chuck, citing that it did not hold the drill bit securely even after tightening.
- Some consumers were disappointed with the packaging, mentioning that the carrying bag was ripped upon delivery, and returning the product required them to pay for postage.
- Despite the positive reviews, some users reported receiving a faulty drill and had to return it.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD996P2
|Powerful, can drill through solid concrete blocks with ease.||Issues with the drill’s function, such as using the hammer function in drill mode and jammed chuck.|
|Long-lasting battery performance.||Complaints about the battery mount design, poor design and rattles during use.|
|Versatile, can be used for various tasks like ice fishing, construction, and home DIY projects.||Issues with the durability and lifespan of the drill, stopped working within a year or just after the warranty period.|
|Good quality and value for its price.||Disappointment with the drill’s performance in heavy-duty tasks like drilling through metal, concrete, or using a hole saw.|
|Excellent customer service received from DeWALT.||Critical of DeWALT’s customer service and warranty policies, difficulties getting assistance or replacements for faulty drills.|
|Precise and useful torque and speed controls.||Issues with the speed switch being difficult to move and oil leakage from inside the device.|
|Ability to handle heavy-duty tasks while causing minimal strain to the wrist.|
Pros/Cons of DCD701F2
|Compact and easy to handle, perfect for home use and professional work.||Issues with DeWalt’s customer service, lengthy process to repair or replace defective items.|
|Powerful, even at 12 volts, and provides more than necessary for large projects.||Problems with the drill’s motor, failing after a year of light use, producing a grinding sound, and shutting down after a few seconds of operation.|
|Great balance between size and power, neither too big nor too powerful.||Intermittent drop in drill’s performance.|
|Long-lasting battery life with the convenience of having two batteries for continuous work.||Complaints about the charger, defective and only gave a slight charge.|
|Versatile, able to perform multiple functions such as drilling holes and driving screws.||Battery problems, including batteries not holding a charge, not charging at all, or being defective upon arrival.|
|Recommended by Wirecutter for its power and comfort of use.||Issues with the drill’s chuck, not holding the drill bit securely even after tightening.|
|Uses the same charger as other DeWalt tools, despite different battery voltage.||Disappointment with the packaging, ripped carrying bag upon delivery, and return postage required.|
|Superior design, particularly the fit in hand, indicative of DeWalt’s reputation for fine tools.||Receiving a faulty drill and having to return it.|
In conclusion, both the DCD996P2 and DCD701F2 offer excellent performance and versatility. The DCD996P2, with its high-efficiency brushless motor and superior bit gripping strength, is ideal for heavy-duty tasks. On the other hand, the DCD701F2, with its compact size and high-performance features, is perfect for precision applications. The choice between the two ultimately depends on your specific requirements. Consider factors such as the nature of the tasks you intend to perform, the power you need, and the portability you desire when deciding which drill is right for you.