When the power goes out, having a backup generator can be a lifesaver. But what if you live in an apartment and don’t have a lot of space for a big generator?
Why You Need an Indoor Generator for Your Apartment
As a resident of an apartment, you know that space is limited. You may not have room for a backup generator outside, but that doesn’t mean you don’t need one. Here are four reasons to buy this unit:
1. Power outages are common
Whether it’s due to severe weather or a faulty power line, power outages are not uncommon. And when they do happen, they can last for hours or even days. A small generator for an apartment will ensure that you have power when you need it most.
2. An indoor generator is more convenient
It is more convenient than an external one because you don’t have to worry about inclement weather or theft. Plus, it’s less likely to trip circuit breakers.
3. Indoor generators are safer
They are also safer than outdoor ones because they produce less carbon monoxide. This is important because carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can be deadly if inhaled.
How to Choose the Right Indoor Generator for Your Apartment
A portable generator for apartments can be a lifesaver in an emergency, but with so many models on the market, how do you choose the right one for your needs?
Here are a few things to consider when shopping:
- Size: The size of the generator is important, both in terms of the physical size of the unit and the amount of power it can generate. If you have a small apartment, you will need a smaller size. If you have a lot of appliances that you need to keep running, you will need a larger unit.
- Fuel type: Most generators run on gasoline, but there are also models that run on propane or diesel. Choose the fuel type that is most readily available to you.
- Run time: When the power goes out, you may need to run your unit for hours or even days. Make sure you choose a model with a run time that meets your needs.
- Noise level: Some backup power is very loud, while others are relatively quiet. If you have to run your generator for an extended period of time, you will want to choose a model that is not too loud.
- Price: it can range in price from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars. Choose the model that fits your budget.
- Types of generators: There are different types of generators (traditional, inverter), but for use in an apartment, generators must be environmentally safe and as quiet as possible.
Best Type of Generator for an Apartment
For a better understanding of the characteristics of generators for apartments, I propose to consider my selection and review of each.
5 best generators for apartments
- Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station and Solar Generator
- Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 300
- TOPDON Portable Power Station Solar Generator
- BALDR Portable Power Station
- LIPOWER Portable Power Station, 1000W Solar Generator
1. Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station and Solar Generator
- Wattage: 155 watts
- Power Source: Battery Powered
- Item Weight: 3.75 Pounds
- Voltage: 120 Volts
- Special Feature: Overload Protection, Short Circuit Protection, Automatic Voltage Regulation
- Included Components: Household Outlet Charger, Car/Cigarette Charger, Power Station
The Westinghouse iGen160s Portable Power Station and Solar Generator is a small, lightweight unit that is perfect for an apartment or outdoor activities. It is backpack ready and has a convenient carrying handle.
The generator has a built-in flashlight and reading lights. It is powered by a 55-watt-hour lithium-ion battery and can charge smartphones up to 17 times, tablets up to 9 times, DSLR cameras up to 16 times, and drones up to 23 times.
It also has low voltage protection, short circuit protection, and overload protection to protect the battery and connected devices.
- Small and lightweight
- Convenient carrying handle
- Built-in flashlight and reading lights
- Powered by a 55-watt-hour lithium-ion battery
- Low voltage protection
- The unit is not charging properly
2. Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 300
- Wattage: 300 watts
- Power Source: AC, Car Port, Solar Panel
- Item Weight: 7.1 Pounds
- Voltage: 110 Volts
- Output Wattage: 500 Watts
The Jackery Portable Power Station Explorer 300 is one of the most popular and well-reviewed portable power stations on the market. This generator provides a reliable and easy-to-use source of power for all of your devices.
The Explorer 300 is equipped with a 293Wh lithium-ion battery pack, which provides enough power to charge 6 devices simultaneously. It also features 2 Pure Sine Wave AC outlets, 1 PD 60W USB-C port, 1 fast charge 3.0 port, and 1 USB-A port, making it easy to keep all of your devices charged while on the go.
One of the best features of the Explorer 300 is its compatibility with the Jackery SolarSaga 100 solar panel. This allows you to recharge the power station using solar power, making it a great choice for those who want to be as eco-friendly as possible.
- Lightweight and portable
- Quick and easy to set up
- Can charge 6 devices simultaneously
- Solar panel compatibility
3. TOPDON Portable Power Station Solar Generator
- Wattage: 185 watts
- Fuel Type: Gasoline
- Power Source: AC 200W (Continuous) 250W (Peak) /DC 9~12v/ 10A
- Voltage: 110 Volts
- Included Components: Power Station Portable Generator H200
The TOPDON Portable Power Station Solar Generator is a small, compact, and lightweight power station that is perfect for camping trips or power outages. It is also an excellent emergency power source for home use in case of natural disasters or power outages.
The built-in battery management system ensures better charger utilization and offers overload, over-current, and over-voltage protection. The massive 200-watt capacity is capable of powering small appliances and charging up to 7 smart devices at once.
- Small, compact, and lightweight
- Built-in battery management system
- Massive 200-watt capacity
- Not hold a charge for a very long
4. BALDR Portable Power Station
- Wattage: 330 watts
- Power Source: Solar Powered, Battery Powered
- Item Weight: 9 Pounds
- Voltage: 110 Volts
The BALDR Portable Power Station is a great choice for anyone looking for an eco-friendly and easy-to-use generator. This unit can be charged via a standard wall outlet, a 12V car outlet, or a separate power generator, making it a versatile and convenient option for a variety of needs.
The built-in MPPT Controller ensures optimal charging rates, while the wireless charging pad makes it easy to keep your devices powered up.
- Eco-friendly and easy to use
- Built-in MPPT Controller for optimal charging rates
- Wireless charging pad for easy device charging
- Fan kicks on more often than expected
5. LIPOWER Portable Power Station, 1000W Solar Generator
- Wattage: 1000 watts
- Power Source: Solar Powered, Battery Powered
- Item Weight: 26.5 Pounds
- Voltage: 110 Volts (AC)
- Output Wattage: 1000 Watts
In a power outage, or even during a long camping trip, a portable power station can be a lifesaver. The LIPOWER Portable Power Station, 1000W Solar Generator is a great option, with a huge capacity of 1100Wh.
This generator is quiet, efficient, and versatile, with 10 different output options. It can be charged in three different ways and features a battery management system to extend the life of the batteries.
- Huge capacity of 1100Wh
- Very quiet
- 3 different charging options
- Battery management system extends battery life
- It may be too heavy and bulky for some
What Devices Can Be Connected to a Small Generator for an Apartment
A generator can be a lifesaver during a power outage. But what can you actually run with a small unit? The answer may surprise you. Here are some of the devices you can run with a small generator for an apartment:
- Lights: You’ll be able to see in the dark and avoid tripping over things.
- Refrigerator: Keep your food from going bad.
- Phone charger: Stay connected to the outside world.
- Laptop: Stay productive or entertain yourself with movies and games.
- Television: Catch up on the news or your favorite shows.
- Sump pump: Keep your basement from flooding.
The Benefits of Having an Indoor Generator for Your Apartment
If you live in an apartment building, you know that power outages are a fact of life. But did you know that having an internal generator can bring many benefits to you and your family? Here are some of the benefits of an apartment backup power supply:
- You will be able to keep the lights.
- You can keep warm during a power outage.
- You can charge your phone or laptop.
- You will be able to use small household appliances.
- You can keep your family safe during a power outage.
The Drawbacks of Having an Indoor Generator for Your Apartment
There are several drawbacks to having an apartment generator backup.
First, it can be very noisy. If you have a unit that is not properly insulated, it can be quite loud and disruptive to your neighbors. Additionally, indoor generators produce carbon monoxide gas, which can be dangerous if it builds up in your apartment.
Another drawback of backup power is that it can be difficult to ventilate. If your generator is not properly ventilated, it can cause a fire hazard.
Finally, it can be expensive. If you are not careful, you can easily spend more on your generator than you would on your rent.
If you are considering purchasing an indoor generator for your apartment, be sure to weigh the pros and cons carefully.
Is there a generator you can use indoors?
If you’re looking for a generator you can use indoors, there are a few things to keep in mind. First, you’ll want to make sure that the unit is certified for indoor use. Second, you’ll want to choose one that is the right size for your needs. And third, you’ll want to be sure to follow all safety precautions when using your generator.
How do I run my generator inside?
Here are a few tips on how to do so:
- Place the generator on a sturdy, level surface.
- If you have a gas-powered unit, open all the doors and windows in the room to ensure proper ventilation.
- Plug the backup power into a heavy-duty extension cord and plug the other end of the cord into a circuit breaker.
- Start the generator and let it run for a few minutes before plugging in any appliances.
- When you’re finished using it, be sure to turn it off and unplug it before ventilating the room again.
How much ventilation does a generator need?
Most need at least four air changes per hour. This means that for every hour the generator is running, four hours’ worth of air needs to be moving through the space. The amount of ventilation will vary depending on the size and type of backup power, but four air changes is a good rule of thumb.
The best indoor generator for an apartment is the one that is most convenient and easy to use for you. Consider the space you have available, the type of fuel you want to use, and your budget when making your decision.
What is your favorite backup power for an apartment? Let us know in the comments below.
Thanks for reading!
- Unraveling the Dewalt DCD708C2 and DCD701F2 Drills: A Comprehensive Comparison
- Comparing DEWALT’s Powerhouse Drills: DCD991P2 and DCD701F2
- Comparing DEWALT Drills: Unpacking the DCD991P2 and DCD708C2
- Demystifying Dewalt Drills: A Comparison of DCD996P2 and DCD701F2
- Unveiling the Best DEWALT Drill: DCD996P2 vs DCD708C2