Overview of DEWALT DCD791D2 Drill
DEWALT DCD791D2 is an efficient compact drill with a brushless motor that delivers up to 57% more run time over the brushed ones. It features XR® Li-Ion batteries with a fuel gauge that provides 33% more capacity over standard packs, making it a powerful tool for all drilling needs.
With a compact design measuring 6.9″ from front to back, and lightweight at 3.4 lbs, it is ideal for working in tight areas. The high-speed transmission with two speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM) enables up to 30% faster application speeds.
The drill is well-balanced and easy to handle, thanks to its ergonomic comfort grip handle. It features a metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck for superior bit gripping strength. The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces, being up to 20 times brighter than previous models. The LED Spotlight Mode has a 20-minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
It runs on an 18V XR Li-Ion compact drill driver featuring 2.0Ah XR Li-Ion battery technology.
This drill kit includes:
- 1 DCD791 – 20V MAX* XR® Li-Ion BL Compact Drill / Driver
- 2 DCB203 – XR® 2.0AH Battery Packs
- 1 Charger
- 1 Kit Box
- 1 Belt Hook
The DCD791D2 20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Compact Cordless Drill with Battery and Charger Kit is designed to deliver in tough spaces. The kit is portable and comes in a durable kit box. With its high-speed transmission, you can choose the level of performance needed for various applications. It offers a comfortable grip for added balance and control.
|Run Time||Up to 57% more than brushed|
|Battery||XR® Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge, 33% more capacity than standard packs|
|Design||Compact and lightweight|
|Transmission Speed||Two settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM)|
|Handle||Ergonomic comfort grip handle|
Overview of DEWALT DCD701F2 Drill
The DEWALT DCD701F2 is a 12V MAX* Brushless 3/8 in. Drill Driver that boasts 32% more power and is 20% shorter than its counterparts. Its brushless motor ensures efficient performance and runtime, making it an asset for various drilling tasks.
This drill driver is equipped with a 3/8 in. ratcheting chuck that can accommodate a wide variety of bits. It also features a 2-Speed transmission and 15 clutch settings for adaptability to a wide range of applications.
The DCD701F2 comes with an LED foot light for superior visibility, especially in dark spaces. Despite its powerful features, it is lightweight at 1.9 lbs. (Tool Only), enhancing its portability and ease of use. It is kitted with 2.0 Ah batteries with a state of charge indicator.
The drill kit includes:
- 1 DCD701B – 12V MAX* Brushless 3/8 in Drill Driver
- 2 DCB122 – 12V MAX* Batteries With State of Charge Indicator
- 1 12V MAX* – 20V MAX† Charger
- 1 Belt Clip
- 1 Tool Bag
The DCD701F2 is an XTREME™ 12V MAX* 3/8 in. Drill/Driver that delivers precision in compact form. With a length of only 5.97 in. from front to back, this drill is ideal for precision applications like drilling small pilot holes. It accepts up to a 12-inch spade bit and is equipped with a 2-speed transmission. The LED positioned light on the foot illuminates work areas for enhanced visibility.
|Power||32% more than counterparts|
|Size||20% shorter than counterparts|
|Chuck||3/8 in. ratcheting chuck|
|Transmission Speed||Two settings with 15 clutch settings|
|Lighting||LED foot light|
|Weight||1.9 lbs. (Tool Only)|
Summary of Specifications: DCD791D2 vs DCD701F2
|Specification||DEWALT DCD791D2||DEWALT DCD701F2|
|Battery Voltage||20 V||12 V|
|Chuck Size||0.5 in||0.37 in|
|Tool Length||N/A||5.97 in|
|No Load Speed (RPM)||0-600 / 0-2000||0-425/0-1500|
|Tool Weight||N/A||1.9 lbs|
|Power Output||460 W||250 W|
|Battery Type||XR Li-ion||12V MAX*|
|Voltage||20 V||12 V|
|Power Input||N/A||900 W|
|Product Weight||N/A||2 lbs|
User reviews of DCD791D2
Summary of Positive Reviews for DCD791D2
- Users appreciate the professional-grade quality and durability of the DCD791D2, noting that it’s a worthwhile investment.
- The tool is praised for its powerful performance and ease of use, even for users with less hand strength.
- Many users who previously used cheaper or smaller tools were impressed by the leap in quality and functionality after switching to DCD791D2.
- Users specifically appreciate the brushless motor and the chuck of the drill, praising it for being powerful and precise.
- Some users were initially confused by the brake feature that stops the drill from rotating when the trigger is released. However, they found it to be a beneficial feature once they understood it.
- Several users found the tool to be of great value, recommending it highly to others.
- One user shared a detailed solution to issues with drill bits falling out, praising the tool’s power and functionality once the problem was solved.
- Some users found the battery fit into the base of the drill to be loose, but overall, they were pleased with the performance of the drill.
- Many users admired the tool for its compact size, light weight, and efficient performance. They also appreciate it being made or assembled in the USA.
- Users from around the world expressed satisfaction with the tool’s performance and durability, praising its build quality and fine accuracy in controlling the variable speed of drilling.
Summary of Critical Reviews for DCD791D2
- Users reported issues with the speed control, noting it was exponential rather than linear, which caused problems when driving screws. One user even reported that the drill broke after minimal use.
- Despite the overall powerful performance and good design of the drill, some users were disappointed to find rust on the part of the chuck that grips the drill bit after a short period of time.
- Some users felt that the drill could deliver more torque, thereby affecting their decision to switch to other brands.
- Several users found the drill’s speed control to be problematic, making it difficult to achieve a medium speed until the drill was fully engaged.
- Some users were dissatisfied with the drill’s chuck and clutch, claiming the chuck didn’t clamp onto bits naturally and the clutch was too stiff for delicate tasks.
- There were complaints about the drill failing to shift into high gear after a few months of light use and some users had issues with the warranty service from DeWalt.
- A few users received drills that looked used or lacked certain features, like the magnetic side holder, which were present in most of the drill reviews.
- There were instances of the chuck failing and drill bits getting stuck, leading to disappointment over the drill’s durability.
- Some users suspected their drills might be counterfeit due to early failures, like gears stripping and the plastic shifter breaking.
- Several users expressed dissatisfaction with the key-less chuck, indicating that it started slipping even with minimal usage.
User reviews of DCD701F2
Summary of Positive Reviews for DCD701F2
- The product is described as just the right size and power for various tasks, with some users mentioning it is perfect for working on guitars and drilling holes.
- It is appreciated for its long-lasting battery life, with the convenience of having two batteries being particularly noted.
- The drill is regarded as quite compact and easy to maneuver, making it suitable for home use and finer work.
- Users praised its superior design, specifically how comfortably it fits in the hand.
- Its lightweight nature and high power, even more than needed for large projects around the house, are also seen positively.
- Some users expressed their satisfaction with a simple “Good” and “Love it”, indicating overall satisfaction.
- It was recommended by Wirecutter for being powerful and comfortable to use, a sentiment echoed by users.
- Although some wish it used a 20v battery, the fact that it uses the same charger as other DeWalt products is seen as a benefit.
Summary of Critical Reviews for DCD701F2
- Several users had issues with the drill’s performance, such as the chuck detaching while reversing out of wood, the motor failing after a year of light use, and an intermittent drop in power.
- There were significant criticisms about the batteries, with complaints about them not holding charge, not charging at all, or being defective on arrival.
- Some users reported that the drill was unable to perform basic tasks, like driving screws into sheetrock, and that the drill chuck didn’t hold the bit even after tightening.
- There were several instances of poor customer service, including unhelpful website support, slow repair turnaround times, and ineffective response to complaints about defective batteries.
- A few users also had issues with the product’s accessories: one user received a drill with a torn carrying bag, and another criticized the charger that came with the drill as defective.
- Despite these issues, some users expressed a willingness to give the product another chance due to their positive past experiences with the brand.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD791D2
|Professional-grade quality and durability||Issues with the speed control, noted to be exponential rather than linear|
|Powerful performance and ease of use||Rust on the part of the chuck that grips the drill bit after a short period of time|
|Impressive leap in quality and functionality as compared to cheaper or smaller tools||Perceived lack of sufficient torque|
|Brushless motor and precise chuck||Problematic speed control, especially at medium speed|
|Beneficial brake feature that stops the drill from rotating when trigger is released||Chuck and clutch issues – unnatural clamping onto bits and too stiff for delicate tasks|
|Great value for the price||Failure to shift into high gear after a few months of light use|
|Compact size, light weight, and efficient performance||Some drills looked used or lacked certain features, like the magnetic side holder|
|Appreciated for being made or assembled in the USA||Instances of the chuck failing and drill bits getting stuck|
|Worldwide satisfaction with performance, durability, build quality, and variable speed control||Suspected counterfeits due to early failures, like gears stripping and the plastic shifter breaking|
|Dissatisfaction with the key-less chuck, started slipping even with minimal usage|
Pros/Cons of DCD701F2
|Right size and power for various tasks, specifically working on guitars and drilling holes||Issues with the drill’s performance, such as the chuck detaching, motor failing, and intermittent power drop|
|Long-lasting battery life and convenience of having two batteries||Significant criticisms about the batteries – not holding charge, not charging at all, or being defective on arrival|
|Compact and easy to maneuver, suitable for home use and finer work||Unable to perform basic tasks like driving screws into sheetrock, drill chuck not holding the bit|
|Superior design, comfortable fit in the hand||Poor customer service – unhelpful website support, slow repair turnaround times, ineffective response to defective batteries complaints|
|Lightweight nature and high power suitable for large projects around the house||Issues with product accessories – torn carrying bag, defective charger|
|Overall satisfaction with user reviews expressing “Good” and “Love it”|
|Highly recommended for being powerful and comfortable to use|
|Using the same charger as other DeWalt products is seen as a benefit|
In conclusion, when choosing between the DEWALT DCD791D2 and the DCD701F2, consider your specific requirements. The DCD791D2 offers a higher voltage, larger chuck size, and a higher RPM, making it suitable for more heavy-duty tasks. On the other hand, the DCD701F2 is more compact and lightweight, suitable for precision applications and use in tight spaces. Both tools are equipped with brushless motors, ensuring efficient performance and long run times.