Overview of DCD791D2
The DEWALT DCD791D2 is a high-performance compact drill/driver that is designed to deliver in tough spaces. This drill is both lightweight and compact, ideal for working in tight spaces for extended periods of time. Thanks to its high-speed transmission, it has two-speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM), delivering up to 30% faster application speeds.
- DEWALT brushless motor delivers up to 57% more run time over brushed.
- XR® Li-Ion batteries with fuel gauge provide 33% more capacity over standard packs.
- Compact (6.9″ front to back), lightweight (3.4 lbs) design fits into tight areas.
- High-speed transmission with two speed settings (0-550/0-2,000 RPM) delivers up to 30% faster application speeds.
- Ergonomic comfort grip handle provides ideal balance and tool control.
- Metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck for superior bit gripping strength.
- 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20 times brighter than previous model.
- LED Spotlight Mode features a 20-minute shutoff function allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
- 18V XR Li-Ion compact drill driver featuring 2.0Ah XR Li-Ion battery technology.
- DCD791 – 20V MAX* XR® Li-Ion BL Compact Drill / Driver
- 2x DCB203 – XR® 2.0AH Battery Packs
- Kit Box
- Belt Hook
|20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Compact Cordless Drill
|High-speed transmission, 3-Mode LED light, Ergonomic comfort grip handle
|Drill, 2x Battery Packs, Charger, Kit Box, Belt Hook
Overview of DCD708C2
The DEWALT DCD708C2 is a compact and lightweight drill/driver, designed to fit in tight spaces and provide optimal performance. It features a variable speed trigger for control and precision on delicate work surfaces. It’s designed for a variety of drilling applications and delivers up to 340 UWO of power to help get the job done.
- Compact at only 6.3 in. front to back designed to fit in tight spaces
- Lightweight at only 2.4 lbs.
- LED foot light for superior visibility
- Variable speed trigger allows for control and precision on delicate work surfaces
- DEWALT built brushless motor for efficient performance and runtime
- 1/2 in. ratcheting chuck provides superior bit girpping strength
- 340 UWO of power to help get the job done
- DCD708 20V MAX* Brushless Compact 1/2 in Drill/Driver
- 2x 20V MAX* Lithium Ion Batteries
- DCB107 Charger
- Carrying Bag
- Belt Clip
|ATOMIC™ 20V MAX* 1/2 in. Drill/Driver
|Compact design, LED foot light, Variable speed trigger, Brushless motor
|Drill, 2x Lithium Ion Batteries, Charger, Carrying Bag, Belt Clip
Summary of Specifications
|20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Compact Cordless Drill
|ATOMIC™ 20V MAX* 1/2 in. Drill/Driver
|Chuck size / Type
|No Load Speed (RPM)
|0-600 / 0-2000
|Battery Chemistry / Type
|Uncertainty K1 (Vibration)
|Uncertainty K2 (Vibration)
User reviews of DCD791D2
Summary of Positive User Reviews of DCD791D2
- The DCD791D2 is highly praised for its professional-grade quality and operational reliability, making it a great investment for both homeowners and professional carpenters.
- Users appreciate its power, additional battery, and ease of use, making it suitable for those with limited strength in their hands.
- The tool is commended for its compactness and sturdy build, significantly superior to cheaper alternatives. It is particularly useful for DIYers and in situations where an electric driver is needed.
- Its high torque output, precision, smooth operation, and efficient brushless motor make it the best cordless drill for industrial settings, according to many users.
- The brake feature, which stops the rotation of the drill when the trigger is released, is appreciated for its novelty and usefulness.
- Despite initial challenges with the drill bit holder, users found solutions and gave high ratings for the powerful performance of the drill.
- Despite some criticisms regarding a loose battery fit, the overall performance of the drill was still rated highly.
- Users acknowledge the significant improvement of this new model over older models, citing its lightweight, compact, and powerful design, and its potential for longevity due to its brushless motor.
- Many users have expressed their satisfaction and love for the machine, praising its build quality, accuracy in controlling variable speed, and its “MADE IN USA” label.
Summary of Critical User Reviews of DCD791D2
- Many users have found issues with the speed control system. It is reported to be exponential rather than linear, which can lead to overdriving of screws. This issue seems to persist even after minimal usage, leading to a breakdown of the speed selector.
- The drill’s chuck has been criticized for being prone to rust when left in damp environments, requiring consistent maintenance and oiling.
- Some users were unsatisfied with the torque output and opted for different brands offering higher torque.
- The speed control of the drill has been a problem for some users, making it hard to achieve a medium speed until it “clicks in” to the higher speed.
- The absence of a bit holder, which is often included with other drills, was noted as a disadvantage.
- A recurring issue has been the drill’s inability to shift into high gear after a few months of use. This has been speculated to be due to faults in the switch or the transmission itself.
- Some users received units that appeared used or incomplete, missing components like the magnetic side holder.
- There have been reports of the chuck failing, causing bits to get stuck. This was particularly disappointing to users who experienced this after only a few years of use.
- Users have cited issues with the drill’s gears, which started to strip after some time, leaving only the low-speed option functional.
- A frequent complaint was about the keyless chuck, which reportedly starts slipping after minimal usage, causing concerns about its durability during major tasks.
User reviews of DCD708C2
Summary of Positive Reviews for DCD708C2
- Users appreciate the compact and well-balanced design of the DCD708C2.
- Its light feature is favored for adding convenience.
- The drill offers a good range of speed and torque, adding to its performance.
- The battery life is highly praised – some users haven’t even depleted a single battery yet.
- The product is described as a great value for money, especially considering it comes with batteries and a charger.
- Many customers have cited that it’s perfect for various projects due to its compact size and power.
- The drill is lighter than previous Dewalt models, making it more comfortable to use.
- The dual speeds and long-lasting batteries are also features that users are satisfied with.
- Users also appreciate the handy case that isn’t bulky.
- Some users even recommended the DCD708C2 to their friends.
- Additional features like the belt hook are pointed out for potential buyers.
Summary of Critical Reviews for DCD708C2
- Some users complained that the product was advertised as new but seemed used upon arrival.
- There have been issues with torque, with some users stating that the drill could not generate enough torque for certain tasks.
- Some customers found that the product had been previously used and were dissatisfied with an older manufactured date.
- There were complaints about the chuck of the drill being ineffective, not gripping the work tool properly and causing bits to fall out during use.
- Some customers experienced battery problems, including short battery life and inability to charge one of the batteries.
- Customers were disappointed that the batteries lacked charge indicators, making it difficult to identify when recharging is needed.
- There were also complaints about the drill bag barely fitting all components.
- The size of the chuck was criticized for being too small, causing difficulties in securing drill bits and leading to discomfort during use.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD791D2
|Professional-grade quality and reliability
|Issues with the speed control system
|Powerful, includes additional battery, and easy to use
|Chuck prone to rust in damp environments
|Compact and sturdy build
|Inadequate torque output for some users
|High torque output, precision, and efficient brushless motor
|Difficulty achieving a medium speed
|Innovative brake feature
|Absence of a bit holder
|Powerful performance despite initial issues with drill bit holder
|Switching issues to high gear after few months of use
|Significant improvement over older models, lightweight, compact, and longevity due to brushless motor
|Units received that appeared used or incomplete
|High build quality, accuracy in controlling variable speed, and “MADE IN USA” label
|Chuck failure causing bits to get stuck
|Gear issues leading to only low-speed option functional
|Keyless chuck slipping after minimal usage
Pros/Cons of DCD708C2
|Compact and well-balanced design
|Product advertised as new but seemed used upon arrival
|Convenient light feature
|Issues with torque for certain tasks
|Good range of speed and torque
|Product had been previously used and older manufacture date
|Great battery life
|Ineffective chuck causing bits to fall out
|Great value for money, including batteries and charger
|Battery problems, including short life and charging issues
|Perfect for various projects due to compact size and power
|Batteries lacked charge indicators
|Lighter than previous models and comfortable to use
|Drill bag barely fitting all components
|Dual speeds and long-lasting batteries
|Chuck size too small, causing difficulty securing drill bits
|Comes with handy and non-bulky case
|Additional features like belt hook
In conclusion, both the DEWALT DCD791D2 and the DCD708C2 are high-quality drills that can deliver excellent performance in a variety of applications. The DCD791D2 offers a compact design and a high-speed transmission, while the DCD708C2 features a lightweight design and variable speed trigger. Ultimately, the right product for you depends on your specific needs and preferences. Both drills offer unique features that can cater to different types of work, so consider what you value most in a drill before making your decision.