Overview of DEWALT DCD791D2
The DEWALT DCD791D2 is a highly efficient and versatile compact drill, designed to deliver in demanding conditions. It’s powered by a DEWALT brushless motor that ensures up to 57% more run time compared to brushed motors. The drill utilizes XR® Li-Ion batteries, which come with a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity over standard packs.
The drill is compact (6.9″ front to back) and lightweight (3.4 lbs), making it an ideal tool for working in tight spaces. It has a high-speed transmission with two speed settings, delivering up to 30% faster application speeds. The ergonomic comfort grip handle ensures a perfect balance and excellent tool control.
The metal 1/2″ ratcheting chuck offers superior bit gripping strength. This drill features a 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20 times brighter than the previous model, with a spotlight mode that has a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
In terms of usability, the DCD791D2 20V MAX* XR Li-Ion Brushless Compact Cordless Drill with Battery and Charger Kit is highly portable and easy to use, even over extended periods of time. It offers 2-speed variations, allowing users to select the desired level of performance for different applications. For convenience, the kit also includes (2) 20V MAX* XR® 2Ah batteries, a charger, and a durable kit box for portability.
Overview of DEWALT DCD996P2
The DEWALT DCD996P2 is a power-packed, high-efficiency brushless cordless 3-Speed Hammer Drill/Driver. It’s engineered with a DEWALT-built high power, high efficiency brushless motor that delivers up to 75% more runtime compared to 18v NiCad brushed motors. Just like the DCD791D2, this drill also uses XR® Li-Ion batteries, which come with a fuel gauge and provide 33% more capacity over standard packs.
This drill is equipped with a heavy-duty 1/2″ ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts, ensuring superior bit gripping strength. The 3-Mode LED provides lighting in dark or confined spaces up to 20 times brighter than the previous model, and it also has a spotlight mode with a 20-minute shutoff function, allowing for extended work time in dark or confined spaces.
Most notably, this drill features a 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission that optimizes tool-to-task for fast application speeds and improved run-time. It delivers 0-450 / 0-1300 / 0-2000 RPM in drill mode, 0-500 / 0-1500 / 0-2250 RPM in hammerdrill mode, and 0-38,250 BPM for fast drilling in masonry materials.
In terms of usability, the DCD996P2 excels in delivering impressive performance across a range of tough drilling applications. With (2) 20V MAX* XR® 5Ah batteries, a charger, and a durable kit box included in the package, this tool ensures portability and convenience on the jobsite. The heavy-duty ratcheting nitro-carburized metal chuck with carbide inserts offers superior bit gripping strength, and the high-efficiency brushless motor that delivers up to 57% more runtime over brushed motors makes it a highly reliable tool for professionals.
Summary of Specifications: DCD791D2 vs DCD996P2
|No Load Speed (RPM)
|0-600 / 0-2000
|Uncertainty K1 (Vibration)
|Uncertainty K2 (Vibration)
|Is it a Set
|Uncertainty K3 (Vibration)
User reviews of DCD791D2
Summary of Positive User Reviews for DCD791D2
- Users are very satisfied with the durability and reliability of DCD791D2, with many stressing that it’s a worthy investment and a step up from cheaper tools.
- The tool is appreciated for its power and ease of use, even by those who might not have strong hands.
- Many users mentioned the compact size and shorter profile of the tool as a major advantage, making it convenient for various situations where an electric driver is needed.
- Users are impressed with the tool’s sturdy construction, powerful brushless motor, and its superior performance when compared with other drills they’ve used before.
- The chuck of the DCD791D2 has been praised for its precision, smoothness, and firm grip.
- Users noted that the light on the drill is very bright and more useful than most, and the battery life is excellent.
- The quality of DeWalt’s customer service and repair services has been highlighted positively.
- The tool is highly recommended by a majority of the users, with one user stating that it’s the most powerful compact brushless drill available.
- Users have found the tool to be easy to handle and operate, with one user specifically mentioning how to properly lock and unlock the drill bit in the chuck holder.
- Despite some minor issues with the loose fit of the battery, users still appreciate the overall performance of the drill.
- Users are happy with the tool’s lightweight and efficiency, and appreciate that it’s made or assembled in the USA.
- Many users expressed their love for the tool, stating that it’s worth every penny, and feel that it provides fine accuracy in controlling the variable speed of drilling.
Summary of Critical User Reviews for DCD791D2
- Some users have reported a major issue with the speed control, which appears to be exponential rather than linear. This becomes problematic when using the drill as a driver, as a slight increase in trigger pull gives a much increased speed, causing screws to be overdriven.
- A few users have identified a problem with the chuck, stating that it rusts easily and does not grip drill bits properly. One user suggested that Dewalt might have saved money by not making this part stainless, leading to rust formation.
- Some users were dissatisfied with the drill’s torque delivery while others found it difficult to control the speed of the drill.
- A few users reported the drill breaking or malfunctioning within a short period of use. One reported the drill failing to shift into high gear after only 2.5 months of light use, while another reported the chuck failing and a bit getting stuck after only 3 years of standard home project use.
- Some users have complained about the lack of a bit holder included with the drill, expressing disappointment that they had to purchase it separately.
- One user reported receiving a drill that appeared used and lacked the magnetic side holder seen in most reviews.
- There were complaints about Dewalt’s customer service, with users stating that they were brushed off when they contacted Dewalt for warranty service.
- Some users expressed concerns about the durability of the drill, with one mentioning that the plastic shifter broke and another suggesting the product might be a counterfeit due to its early failure.
User reviews of DCD996P2
Summary of Positive User Reviews for DCD996P2
- Many users praised the power and efficiency of the drill, particularly when drilling through tough materials such as concrete and ice.
- Several users complimented the longevity and quick charging time of the battery.
- Some users specifically highlighted the drill’s performance in ice fishing scenarios, with excellent battery life and torque.
- Users also took note of the drill’s versatility in construction projects.
- The drill was commended for its ability to handle heavy-duty tasks with ease and minimal strain on the user’s wrist.
- Several users appreciated the customer service provided by DeWALT, especially in resolving issues related to the charger.
- A good number of users expressed their love for the product, describing it as the best and a “beast”.
- One user also appreciated the precision of the electronic clutch which allows heavy screws to be seated without stripping.
Summary of Critical User Reviews for DCD996P2
- Several users reported that the drill, despite being powerful, has the hammer function active even in regular drill mode which affects the finish when drilling through metal.
- There were complaints about the durability of the drill, with some users stating that it stopped working shortly after the warranty period.
- Issues with the battery mount were mentioned, with users stating that it’s loose and rattles both in the drill and the charger, causing charging difficulties.
- Some users pointed out that the chuck got jammed after a few uses, which affected the overall functionality of the drill.
- There were complaints about the drill not living up to the expectations in terms of strength and performance, specifically when it comes to drilling through tough materials such as concrete or using hole saws.
- Several users expressed disappointment with the product, stating that it did not last as long as expected.
- One user reported that the drill had some defects upon delivery, including a loose battery and a petrified speed switch, in addition to oil leakage from inside the device.
Pros and Cons of the Compared Products
Pros/Cons of DCD791D2
|Durable and reliable
|Exponential rather than linear speed control
|Powerful and easy to use
|Chuck rusts easily and may not grip drill bits properly
|Compact size and shorter profile
|Some users found it difficult to control the speed
|Sturdy construction and powerful brushless motor
|Reports of the drill breaking or malfunctioning within a short period
|Precision, smoothness, and firm grip of the chuck
|Lack of a bit holder included with the drill
|Bright light and excellent battery life
|Some drills appeared used and lacked the magnetic side holder
|High-quality customer and repair services
|Dissatisfaction with Dewalt’s customer service for warranty service
|Highly recommended by users
|Concerns about the durability of the drill
|Easy to handle and operate
|Lightweight and efficient
|Made or assembled in the USA
|Provides fine accuracy in controlling the variable speed of drilling
Pros/Cons of DCD996P2
|Powerful and efficient, particularly when drilling through tough materials
|Hammer function active even in regular drill mode
|Longevity and quick charging time of the battery
|Drill durability issues, with some stopping working shortly after the warranty period
|Excellent performance in ice fishing scenarios with excellent battery life and torque
|Loose battery mount which rattles in the drill and charger
|Versatility in construction projects
|Chuck jamming after a few uses, affecting drill functionality
|Ability to handle heavy-duty tasks with minimal strain on the user’s wrist
|Not living up to expectations in terms of strength and performance when drilling through tough materials or using hole saws
|High-quality customer service, particularly in resolving charger issues
|Product longevity issues, with some users stating it did not last as long as expected
|Described as the best and a “beast” by several users
|Delivery defects, including a loose battery, a petrified speed switch, and oil leakage from inside the device
|Precision of the electronic clutch which allows heavy screws to be seated without stripping
In conclusion, both the DEWALT DCD791D2 and DCD996P2 are excellent choices for professionals seeking reliable, high-performance drills. The DCD791D2 stands out for its compact and lightweight design, making it ideal for working in tight spaces, whereas the DCD996P2, with its 3-speed, all-metal high performance transmission and higher battery capacity, is well-suited for more demanding jobs. Choosing the right tool ultimately depends on your specific needs and the type of projects you’ll be undertaking.